Custom Logistics Management Software Gives Companies a Competitive Edge
The demand for delivery services is continuously growing, and customer expectations are higher than ever before. At every level, the competition in the shipping, transportation, and logistics industry is fierce.
Suppliers, distributors, and manufacturers are continuously seeking the best solution to transport their goods to the market. Those businesses that choose to invest in custom software gain a leading-edge over the competition and improve profitability through improved operations. Having logistics management software can guarantee more efficiency and control over the logistical and supply chain operations run by a business.
With logistics management software, a company could avail of the following benefits:
- ⇒ Refine transportation, by relying on logistics software, can help manage the various transportation means and leverage the data to automate the process.
- ⇒ Faster delivery, by interfering in the production cycle and implementing the right shipping software, which cuts short any delays to a large extent.
- ⇒ Minimize human errors, which will seamlessly push forward the operations with zero chances of delays.
- ⇒ Automates functions, which helps deal with the processes in a more efficient and timely manner.
- ⇒ Reduce costs through improved planning of the shipments.
Smart Logistics Management Software to Keep Pace With the Times
Logistics doesn’t mean only shipping merchandise from point A to point B, or warehousing or packing. It’s about managing and optimizing the whole process, from RFID to integration with third-party shipping APIs and everything in between.
Working hand in hand with Logistics & Transportation companies of all sizes, from small businesses to international groups, manufacturers & suppliers across the globe, we’ve created a list of the most demanded Logistics software solutions. They will be discussed further.
Depending on the nature of the business, there are several features any Logistics solution should have to bring order to the chaos:
- ⇒ Back office integration. Logistics software solutions link systems like CRM, ERP, CMS, internal and third-party apps, to fully integrate the enterprise.
- ⇒ Combining production, warehouse, order, and logistics management in one software system.
- ⇒ Multi-user architecture.
- ⇒ Invoicing and contract control functionality.
- ⇒ Real-time tracking.
- ⇒ Automated vendor-managed.
- ⇒ Inventory management.
- ⇒ Comprehensive reporting.
- ⇒ Automatic truck-load planning.
- ⇒ Automatic route planning.
- ⇒ Delivery status updates.
- ⇒ Tracking the productivity of employees.
- ⇒ Data security.
Different types of technologies are used for logistics and transportation software. Most common are:
- ⇒ Analytics and Visualization.
- ⇒ Predictive Modelling.
- ⇒ Platforms and Microservices.
- ⇒ Mobile.
- ⇒ Big Data Processing.
- ⇒ IoT.
- ⇒ Blockchain.
The Software Used in Logistics Management
Let’s have a look at four categories of Logistics Management Software Solutions: Scheduling & Dispatch, Warehouse Management Systems, Inventory Management Systems, Supply Chain Management to help you determine which system and/or software aligns best with the needs of your operation.
Logistics Management Software helps businesses manage transportation operations for shipping, provide maintenance tracking on vehicles, create optimized routes and maps, and provide warehouse management capabilities for quick and efficient logistics workflows.
Warehouse Management Systems:
In logistics, everything starts in a warehouse. Depending on your business, you can either develop a standalone Warehouse Management System or build an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software with the warehouse management system embedded into it. In both cases, you’ll probably include the following features in your custom Warehouse Management solution:
- ⇒ Managing Last-mile Shipping Globally.
- ⇒ Packing Stations Automation With Video Surveillance, Weight Checking, Order Validation, Carrier Integration.
- ⇒ Pick & Pack Process Automation.
- ⇒ Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) With Third-party Logistics (3PLS).
- ⇒ Order Tracking Management.
- ⇒ Backorder & Multi-Box Shipment Management.
- ⇒ Support for Bar Codes & 2D Codes Serial Numbers.
Scheduling & Dispatch:
The Scheduling & Dispatch software allows evaluating, prioritizing, and sending delivery requests based on optimal real-time inventory, price, and dispatch options. It will enable entering orders, trips, drill-down, and editing every detail of a load with dispatch software for trucking.
The Scheduling & Dispatch modules allow users to communicate from one completely integrated trucking office software system, so everyone in the company who requires information for order processing. It has instant and accurate data in real-time. The main types of Scheduling & Dispatch software include the following:
- ⇒ Managing Fleet.
- ⇒ Managing Teams (Crews).
- ⇒ Scheduling Service Trips.
- ⇒ Service Call Centre Automation.
- ⇒ Assigning Crews.
- ⇒ Dispatching & Managing Service Trips.
- ⇒ Capacity Management.
- ⇒ Integration with ERP Systems.
- ⇒ Mapping & Navigation, GPS Fleet Monitoring.
- ⇒ Integration with Vehicle Mounted Devices.
- ⇒ Mobile Quotation & Take-Offs.
Inventory Management Systems:
An inventory management system is a piece of software aimed at automating the core processes related to tracking of goods in stock from the moment they appeared in a warehouse. The main types include the following:
- ⇒ Item Master and Pricing Engines.
- ⇒ Inventory Levels & Depletion Management.
- ⇒ Device Integration (RFID Readers, RFID Tags, Real-time Location System (RTLS), Barcode Scanners, Barcode Printers, Barcode Stickers, Global Positioning System (GPS), Handheld Scanners).
- ⇒ Controlled Substances Inventory Management.
Supply Chain Software
Supply chain management software is developed to optimize and enhance delivery, decrease expenses, and focus on a business strategy.
- ⇒ Contract price management
- ⇒ Ordering products and services
- ⇒ Requisitions management
- ⇒ Retrieving supplier’s quotes
- ⇒ Purchase orders processing
- ⇒ Making receipts for materials and services
- ⇒ Invoices processing
The right logistics software can make all the difference for your supply chain. Identify the must-have requirements of your operation and select a program that gives you a boost where you need it. With the proper planning and execution, you can turn a sluggish supply chain into a well-oiled machine.
Devcom has been providing logistics software solutions for Fortune 500 companies. During the many years of support and development, we helped create a very sophisticated software solution that integrates with third-party software that allows our customers to have an excellent overview and management of inventory on 60+ warehouses all over the world. Let’s make your perfect logistics solution together!
Written by: Halyna Vilchynska, Head of Marketing at DevCom.